Popular Posts

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Book Entry 127: 1978 Robin's Dream "Profession"


One of my favorite memories of Robin’s kindergarten year was told to me by her teacher, Mrs. Has Ellison.  Robin’s kindergarten year happened to be the year I learned from Mrs. Woodbridge how to hook a rug.  I was working on a small wall-hanging of a train for Adam’s room. 
I let the girls help a little once in a while but they just didn’t have the hang of it yet.  Robin especially liked trying to do it.  I’d hold her on my lap and help her guide the yarn through the hooking needle then back and forth in the pattern.  She loved to watch as the little train began to take shape.


One day in “circle time” all the kids were sharing what they wanted to be when they were grown ups like their mommies and daddies.  One little boy wanted to work on a dairy just like his daddy, one little girl wanted to be a nurse just like her mommy, and so on. 
Mrs. Has Ellison said she could tell by the way Robin was squirming on her mat she could hardly wait for her turn.  It was finally Robins turn.  She took great delight as she blurted out, “When I grow up I want to be the best hooker in Turlock.” 
When her teacher met me at the door to pick up Robin that day she had tears in her eyes from laughter.  She told me the story saying she’d been telling it all day.  I had to laugh too.  Robin had said it in all innocence and I’m sure that made it even funnier.  She was sharing with the class.  She was proud she was learning to do something like her mom and she was proud of me!
 I’m glad she didn’t add that her mom wasn’t very good at it, didn’t enjoy it much, and gave it up completely after one successful attempt! 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my sides hurt......I will be laughing all day long!!!

    In Kindergarten, our son, Myk was asked what his father's work was...his answer, "My dad doesn't work, he just goes to the Church everyday". The teacher told us we should explain Dad's work to Myk...haha. Preachers don't work, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, too funny! I remember hooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed so many of your posts, they aren't coming up for me, I had to come find you tonight, I will continue reading,, I hope you are well, I enjoy everyone of them

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce