Popular Posts

Monday, January 9, 2012

Book Entry 128: 1979 Get Your Towel and Your Sucker!


Our kids took swimming lessons from Sami Nelson for several summers.  I think at one point each of them thought she was surely going to cause them to drown but, in spite of that, they all turned out to be excellent swimmers.  They listened to her corrections and trusted her completely!  

 
The kids were always excited to receive praise from Sami.  I can still hear her saying, “Use big arms.  Use your big arms!” as she’d walk the rim of the pool following as they swam. 

 
 I remember her convincing them it is easier to float in deep water than in shallow water.  I can see the smiles on their faces when it actually worked!  
And then, of course, when the lesson was over the last words we’d hear from Sami for the day would be, “Good job, now when I call your name you can get out and get your towel and a sucker.” 

 
I loved to watch them squirm as they waited for their name to be called.  They would spin in the water and kick and wave their hands.  Somehow they seemed relieved and almost surprised when their name was called.  I laughed to myself as they’d run to me showing what magical color of sucker they got each day.  I could never get over the relief in their eyes as they were called from the water.  As I recall Sami never left anyone in the pool at the end of a lesson. After all, the next group was waiting to get in.  I guess my kids never figured that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce