Popular Posts

Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Entry 140: 1979 I Had a Makeover


          I only add this chapter to my book for my kids to know my medical record.
         In 1979, after many months of discomfort and coming to the conclusion we would not be having more babies, I opted to have a hysterectomy.  It would solve my problem and I would no longer need to deal with such pain.  
I looked forward to having the surgery finished.  After my experience with my earlier surgery I was not looking forward to seeing the operating room again.  My kids, on the other hand, all remembered the hidden presents and the fun time they had following my treasure map directions to finding them.  
I was told this stay in the hospital would be shorter, only four days.  I didn’t need to buy or hide so many gifts.  I was glad as I needed all new hiding places.  Notes were written, gifts were hidden, and instructions were given to Larry about the daily searches.
I was more than a little apprehensive when I was rolled into surgery.  I had been given a shot to help me relax. I looked around the room for a familiar face and saw none.  The next thing I remember was someone saying, “Wake up Joyce, it’s all over and you did great.”  Of course when I got to my room there was a beautiful bouquet of red roses waiting for me from Larry.
That surgery was the best thing I ever did.  No regrets.  No looking back.  I did so well and recovered so quickly when my dentist told me a couple months later I needed my wisdom teeth taken out it didn’t even bother me.  I made an appointment for the following week.  

By the time my appointment came around I was not as relaxed about the extraction as I had been.  I had talked to a friend at church who shared with me when he had his wisdom teeth pulled he was asked to leave the office by the back door because his face had swollen so much.
I remember when the dentist asked if I wanted the left side or the right side pulled on that visit I answered, “Pull them all, because if it hurts I won’t be coming back.”  I was only half-way kidding.  The dentist pulled out all four.  He had a hard time getting two of them out but I never felt a thing.  I didn’t need any stitches.  Larry brought home Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner and I was able to eat it!  

 
 
The following week I was so happy with the way everything was going I had my ears pierced!  When I picked the girls up from school I had my hair pulled behind my ears.  I asked them if they noticed anything new.  They both squealed immediately, “Your ears are pierced.”  
Yep, hysterectomy, wisdom teeth extracted, and ears pierced.  I was on a roll!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Joyce....this was so fun to read...You were on a roll!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce