Popular Posts

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book entry 100: 1971 The Peeping Surprise

Larry has always been an avid jokester.  When I noticed our supply of chickens in the freezer dwindling I came up with a joke of my own.  I found an outfit in a farm catalog that would ship baby chicks in the mail.  I called and ordered four dozen chicks to be delivered to the Turlock Post Office for Larry. 
I paid for the chicks with a cashiers check so Larry wouldn’t be able to find a record of my purchase in our checkbook.  The fellow I ordered them from agreed to be sure there would be no information about who had sent the chickens included with the delivery.  I felt so clever.  I just knew I was on the verge of providing Larry with a great mystery.  I was determined not to give my plan away.  
I waited in silence for word to come of the chick’s delivery.  About ten days later there was a notice for Larry in the mailbox saying he had a “live delivery” waiting for him at the Turlock post office.
Larry had the most puzzled expression on his face.  He just couldn’t believe he was getting something alive in the mail!  We jumped in the car and headed for town.  Our ride was exciting.  It was the biggest mystery we’d faced together so far.  I waited in the car while Larry went into the post office.  I could hardly stand it.  I hoped he would be happy to get the chicks.  
When he came out he was carrying a big “peeping” box of chicks.  Everyone he walked by turned to look at him and the box.  If I live to be a hundred years old I will never forget the look on his face!  For years Larry questioned everyone he knew.  He never did figure out who sent him the chicks. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Joyce ~ I love it. You are just as devious as Larry....What a wonderful joke!!! See us girls can keep secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did spill the beans years later. I was going to have surgery and for a fleeting moment I was afraid I might die and not get credit for the chicks. I asked one of the nurses to tell my husband I sent the chicks! When I woke from the surgery we had another good laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce