Popular Posts

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Book Entry 22: 1958 The Fly and the Meatloaf


           We were sitting around the dinner table in our old yellow and green kitchen.  We were have a wonderful meatloaf dinner.  Just as I raised a bite to my mouth a fly landed on my meatloaf.  I took the bite and David began to laugh telling what had happened.  I took a big drink of milk but the thought was just too much for me. 
About a minute passed.  I took a couple more bites of meatloaf sure that I was going to be OK.  Then it got the better of me.  I felt sick.  I remember putting my hand over my mouth and running through David’s bedroom to get to the bathroom.  I only made it half way through the bedroom when I couldn’t hold it any longer.  I threw up on the floor.  Yuck.  Mom ran after me and grabbed a cloth from the bathroom for me to wipe my face.  As I was cleaning myself mom was cleaning the floor. 
She burst out in laughter and called me to see what I’d done.  I didn’t think it was very funny till I squatted down and had a closer look at what she was pointing to.  It was the fly sitting in the middle of what had just flown out of my stomach.  He was stretching his wings and trying to fly.  In a few seconds he took off towards the kitchen. 
I don’t think I finished my meal that night.  I didn’t get sick again but somehow knowing the fly from my stomach was flying around the dinner table ruined my appetite.

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I will have a different perspective the next time I make a meatloaf. Do you still like meatloaf?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda...I love my homemade meatloaf...yes it is my mom's recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce