Popular Posts

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Book Entry 4: 1955 Kindergarten


1955
Kindergarten

        I only remember a few things about kindergarten.  I remember an awful feeling in my stomach, the same feeling I get now when I’m in the waiting room of my dentist.  I remember our class waiting in line to get on a train at the Hughson station, sitting next to Mina Moore for a short ride, and getting off the train in Merced. 
          I remember the smell of paste.  I remember the teacher standing in front of the class with a box of huge red pencils and a box of brand new two inch pink erasers.  As she came closer to me I remember my heart pounding with excitement.  As I look back now it is a wonder we ever did learn to write with those pencils they were so big and so heavy.  That’s it! It seems funny…those few things gave me memories for a lifetime but nothing else from kindergarten stuck with me.  The photo shows me, Mina Moore, and Pam Aldrich at the Merced train station.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't go to Kindergarten. It was an option when I was starting school, and mother opted to keep me home one more year. I certainly do remember the smell of paste, and my Aunt Nevada lived right across the street form the Empire Train station.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce