Popular Posts

Friday, December 27, 2019

I Know How to End a Party!

         Our family Christmas party was winding down.  I went in the back room to let our pup out so she could join the party for the last few minutes.  I picked her up from her crate and rolled back the sliding glass door.  As I stepped off the top step to the patio I guess my foot rubbed against the step and I stepped down my full weight onto the outside of my left ankle.  I dropped the dog and nearly fell.  I couldn't put any weight on my foot at all so I fumbled around on one leg trying not to fall down.  I sat on the bench by our bedroom door and waited for Skeeter to do her thing.  My leg from the mid calf down was now throbbing.  I wasn't real happy.  Skeeter had gone to the living room slider so I followed her to that door.  Somehow I got up the two steps, slid the door open, and hobbled over to my spot on the couch.
     As soon as I was on the couch I started complaining to anyone who would listen.  My ankle was swelling and turning a nice shade of purple.  We live one block from the hospital.  One of my daughters called the ER to see the wait time and made an appointment for me at 7.  All the kids were leaving anyway so in a few minutes our house was empty except for me and Larry and the dogs.
     Each of the kids and grandkids gave me the pouty face saying MERRY CHRISMAS as they filed out the front door.  They all ordered us to message or call them from the hospital when we found out anything.
     We arrived at the hospital about 6:45.  I was in right away.  Within a few minutes I was in a room.  X-rays were taken and after 45 minutes of waiting for results we were told there were no broken bones.  Really?  I felt like arguing with the doctor.  How on earth could it hurt so bad and not be broken?  We were told someone would be with us in a few minutes to give us instructions.  The nurse asked me how tall I was.  I told him I used to be 5'9" but I though now I was shorter, probably 5'8".
     While we waited the lady in the next bed, we were separated by a curtain, began to choke and tried again and again to vomit.  She sounded awful.  I began to pray she'd stop.  Honestly, I was praying she'd stop so she could feel better but also so I wouldn't join in with her!
     When the nurse came in with the crutches he had them set for 5'8".  He had to lower them another 2 inches.  I have become a shrinking violet!
     It is now the morning of December 27.  My foot is no longer throbbing but it still hurts if I move it or put any weight at all on it.  Knowing it is not broken is some comfort.  My grandson, Austin, had his ACL replaced on December 20.  He is sharing this healing time with me.  It is good to have a buddy to commiserate with me.
     In spite of the ending of the party it was a great Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce