Popular Posts

Monday, June 2, 2014

Book Entry 190: 1988 Charlie and the Coffee Grinder




Larry brought home a huge coffee grinder from a swap meet.  The wheel that turned the grinding mechanism probably had a two foot diameter. There was a handle on the wheel to help with the turning.  Around the parameter of the wheel were the gear cogs that caught and turned the grinder which in turned ground the coffee beans.  Charlie loved to turn the handle.  The rule was he could only turn it if he turned it very slowly.  The coffee grinder sat on the hearth of our fireplace just next to our grandfather clock. 
One morning while I was winding the clock Charlie began turning the wheel on the coffee grinder.  Just as I was locking the glass door on the clock Charlie let out a yell.  The soft pad of his hand between his thumb and his index finger was caught in the cogs.  His pinched skin had stopped the wheel and was still stuck.  There was no way to get him unstuck except to back up the wheel loosening its grip on Charlie.  It hurt but I think he realized it was the only thing we could do.  He looked at my face then at his hand.  I could see it was painful but I think he was also disappointed he had gotten his hand caught.  Not knowing which way to move to make it feel beer Charlie froze, he didn’t move a muscle.  He had tried to be careful but when the wheel started turning it was just too fun not to turn a little faster.
 When his hand was free it did bleed just a little but he didn’t cry.  I think he was so relieved to be able to move about freely he overlooked the blood.  When I put a band aid on his hand he gave me an extra tight hug and he was off for new adventures.  He still has a little scar in the shape of a fish where he got pinched.  I don’t remember Charlie ever turning that grinder again!

1 comment:

  1. Smart young boy Charlie!!
    I would have left it alone too!
    OUCH

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing in my life's journey. If you don't leave a comment I have no way of knowing you stopped by. I do hope you enjoy reading of my life as much as I have enjoyed living it! Joyce